Friday, January 4, 2008

Religious Exploration

Last night was the continuation of our RE (Religious Education) Class - this one being focused on "What is Atheism?" We had great attendance - 11 people showed up in the bitter cold. We viewed the first segment of Jonathan Miller's film, 'Atheism: A Rough History of Disbelief ', and followed that up with some very lively and stimulating discussion. Nearly everyone there had vital and interesting points to make and the evening was a wonderful success. Somewhere in the discussion it was suggested that with the idea in mind of dogma and doctrine being a hindrance rather than a help to spiritual growth, instead of 'religious education' we should refer to these sessions as 'religious exploration', and all seemed to agree that this was the way to go. Please come and join in next Thursday Evening as we view the 2nd Segment entitled: "Noughts and Crosses"! . . . and try not to eat too many cookies!

2 comments:

Bettina Makley, aka Fairywebmother. said...

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the first RE on this subject. I love my Spirituality and I didn't want anyone to try to talk me out of it (not that anyone could), but it really wasn't like that. Exploring other beliefs is safe and fun. I feel expanded, as I am more informed.

Fly'sOintment said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the RE's.. would have loved to have gone to the last two of the last sessions, but alas.. That really is such a great community there:)